The main purpose of VCI films and bags is to protect metals from corrosion. While the reason is simple, the options are many. Knowing what VCI Film and Bag varieties are available under the Cortec® VpCI® quality brand name will help you leverage this form of protection to the best advantage for each specific application.
Different Types of VpCI® Film
Cortec® VpCI® Film comes in multiple versions. VpCI®-126 Blue Film offers the most basic corrosion protection via contact and Vapor phase Corrosion Inhibitors. Building on this foundation, Cortec® also offers ESD, flame retardant (FR), UV resistant, and commercially compostable VCI films:
- EcoSonic® VpCI®-125 Static Dissipative Bags and EcoSonic® ESD Self-Seal Bubble Bags powered by Nano VpCI® combine corrosion and ESD protection for innovative electronics packaging.
- VpCI®-126 HP UV Shrink Film is an excellent option for storing components or equipment outdoors.
- MilCorr® VpCI® Shrink Film is a heavy duty VCI film excellent for use in extreme environments like those encountered during layup of offshore platforms, as
well as the longest term (up to 5 years) storage.
- VpCI®-126 FR and MilCorr® FR VpCI® Shrink Film are fire retardant versions of two Cortec® standbys that may be preferred for environments such as warehouses with elevated fire risk concerns.
- Eco-Corr Film® is a VCI film that is certified “OK compost INDUSTRIAL” by TÜV Austria (#TA8012206603). It can be disposed in a commercial composting environment* after using for metals protection.
Different VpCI® Film Formats
VpCI® Film formats are another question to consider. Cortec’s versatile converting capabilities offer a wide range of options:
- Roll Stock
- Heat Seal Bags
- Top-Seal Bags (zipper closure)
- Gusseted Bags
- Shrink Film
- Stretch Film
Each format works better in certain applications. For example, heat-seal bags are great for packages that will only be used and opened once. Top-seal bags with a zipper closure may be the best option for packages that need to be opened occasionally to take parts out. A custom thickness of VpCI®-126 Shrink Film tubing can be great for automated heat seal tunnels. Cor-Pak® VpCI® Stretch Film or Cor-Pak® VpCI® Anti-Stat Stretch Film are excellent choices for wrapping pallets or bundling metal parts together for warehousing and shipment. It all depends on the specific needs of the application.
For help choosing the best VpCI® packaging solution, end users should always consider the exposure conditions, preservation period, type of access required, and any other application-specific needs. Cortec®representatives are on hand to guide manufacturers and packaging engineers through the process.
Contact Cortec® for further assistance in taking advantage of our diverse VpCI® Film and Bag options: https://www.cortecpackaging.com/contact-us/
Keywords: VCI bags, VCI film, protect metals from corrosion, corrosion, Cortec, electronics packaging, compostable VCI film, corrosion protection, VCI stretch film, flame retardant VCI film
* This product is intended to be composted in a commercial composting facility operated in accordance with best management practices. Check locally to see if such a facility exists in your community and if they will accept this product. Not suitable for backyard composting.
Contact Cortec® to see which products are available in specific formats.
For a PDF version please click here.